As the old adage goes, you are what you eat. For cats and dogs eating a raw diet that means healthy coats, increased energy and lots more. But why is raw food so good? In a word, biology.
ALL THE REASONS TO LOVE A RAW DIET.
ENZYMES AND AMINO ACIDS:
THE DYNAMIC DUO
Raw foods are naturally rich in enzymes and amino acids. That’s good because enzymes make things happen. As a catalyst for chemical reactions, they may help break food down and aid in the absorption of nutrients. Some enzymes can even help to fight plaque buildup on teeth.
Amino acids are in charge of damaged cell repair and new cell growth. In cooked food, long chain amino acids become short chain amino acids. And while it may feel counterintuitive, these shorter chains are harder to digest and metabolize, cutting their regenerative properties.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
Raw foods have a higher moisture content than dry food. That’s important for cats and even some dogs as they get most of their moisture from food.
Finely ground raw bones can deliver calcium and potassium to your pet’s food bowl.
Organ meat is rich in bioavailable vitamins and minerals. (In case you’re wondering, bioavailability is the ability to be absorbed and used by the body. And if you already knew that, good on you.)
FROM GOOD NUTRITION, GOOD THINGS COME
- High-quality protein provides long-lasting energy
- Low carb food can help promote healthy weight
HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT
- Bio-available nutrients foster healthy skin and coat
- Natural enzymes may fight plaque buildup and gum disease
- Ground bone contains calcium to support health bone maintenance
- Ground bone and cartilage supply a natural source of glucosamine for joint healthy
HEALTHY DIGESTIVE TRACT
- More concentrated nutrition means small, and often less smelly poops
- Many pets show improved digestion, which creates better breath
REDUCED KIDNEY AND URINARY PROBLEMS
- Many pet parents report better urinary health due to improved hydration
A little raw food goes a long way. So even when raw is used as a supplement to your pet’s diet, it’s doing them a world of good.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR (AND WHERE)
The best brands have thoughtfully sourced proteins, high standards for handling raw meat and species appropriate recipes for cats and dogs.
Our favorite raw brands include:
BUT IS RAW FOOD SAFE?
For centuries, cats and dogs have gotten their nutrition from raw food in the wild. Learn more about how to safely feed them raw at home, as well as the multiple safety procedures taken by pet food companies.